Friday, August 21, 2009

And on the Fourth Day of Christmas

Four nights in a row, Ben has slept right through. That is a Christmas gift.

I've heard this from other crazy people who take in rescues and that is that it's as if these dogs are living the puppyhood they never had. I took Ben out for his usual after work walk and then fed him. Don had left for the fishing camp that morning.

I was going over to take mom out for groceries. Sounds easy, doesn't it. The routine was broken. Normally, Ben would get to stay outside after the little walk but not this day. I closed the door and Ben started bouncing off it, big paws sliding down the door windows and crying like he was being left behind forever.

I had to move Don's car to get mine out. Don's car battery was dead. My great brother-in-law came over to boost me (I'd forgotten what to do but will be fine next time). While waiting for Steve to come over, I brought Ben outside and he barked up a storm at being ignored. I then tried to get him to go in but he appeared angry about that by his growls so I left him. Once the cars were sorted, I made the bright mistake of opening of the hatch to return the booster cables and in jumped Ben.

I had to resort to food in his dish. I shook this and he couldn't quite decide which was more important but finally relented and in he came. I realized I had forgotten my wallet in the house and had to go back in. Of course, when I left, the big paws and fat face showed through the window.

I left. When I returned, I took the guy for a big walk on which he was determined to be obnoxious and was. He barked at a couple of dogs coming along and lay on the pavement. He got up when they went by, still barking. I waited until he sat before we moved. He was just looking for things at which to bark including cars that went by.

I was just tired last night and it's as if he knew this and took advantage of my weakness because I just wanted to relax and get some sleep. I think, too, that Ben's routine was broken because Don wasn't there. There are so many things to which Ben needs to adjust. He's a few years behind.

I'm off to the cottage with Ben and Trickster for a week so there won't be any posts. I think it will turn into a bootcamp for Ben and heaven for Trickster. Wish us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment