Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ben Still Lives Here


My vacation started out as less than relaxing. Ben became roaringly obnoxious which happened to coincide with Don's absence. I put up with resource guarding, and the leash resistance. At the cottage he had pulled my bag of clothes from the bed and had my clothing strewn about. I went to see what was going on and stood in the doorway. He was nasty. I just had to go the fridge and out he came. I put the bag away.

He then pulled a pair of pants from the bed and guarded those. All for a Charlie Bear. The list of nasties goes on. By the Sunday night, I was very ready to drive into town and have him put down on Monday. I had to have Don's agreement. He called on his return from fishing and was heading up to the cottage on Monday. He suggested I wait and we would talk about it.

The rest of the week, Ben was very good and I cooled down. I managed to cut three nails but the next day he became a bear and I couldn't touch his feet.

He did become more sociable. He wanted to spend afternoons on the deck with us and seemed to enjoy the campfires. He got to have his 20 second crazy play run even though Trickster tried to end that. Trickster will not play with Ben but then, either will we.

I will be speaking to his breeder to discuss his issues. My hope is that she will take him when we go on vacation. Should we decide Ben is not safe enough, I am hoping she will take him, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment