Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends


After the fiasco last night, I have turned to drugs (the one given to some dogs for flying) to help relax Ben when I am working with his feet and brushing his tail. The vet has worked with Ben and knows of his aggression issues so has agreed to this. It's not something I wanted to do but for more relaxed sessions, it will benefit both of us. He will still wear the muzzle during this time. With a little patience, I don't think I will have to use drugs because he will see it does not hurt.

I used to say, whenever I heard about a dog bite, that I would never have a dog if it bit just once, nor would I ever have a dog who needed to wear a muzzle. I could never figure out why people would have those kinds of dogs. They are dangerous. Then there is that old saying 'don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes'. That was me. Being judgemental.

Now that the tables have turned and I have the kind of dog I never wanted nor agreed with, I am walking that mile. It's an experience I never thought I would go through. I did not know how to handle this kind of dog. A dog who spent three years in a garage, was underweight, had sores on his neck from an embedded collar and wasn't neutered nor did I think for a second he would have issues. I'd never had a dog like this so I did not know.


People have their ideas on how I should deal with Ben and impart them but they have never had a dog like Ben. I am surprised to hear the ideas that come from seemingly gentle people with dogs. They suggest violence against Ben which really puzzles me. I should beat the crap out of a dog who has already had a rotten life. A dog who does not understand how to behave and I should beat him to make him understand and make him submit? I should hang him as does Ceasar on the more violent dogs? Sure, there are some days when I get so frustrated I want to kick him and hit him over the head. Well, instead of this, I was on the phone immediately to a recommended trainer–Lynn Hyndman from Dogs in Harmony http://www.dogsinharmony.ca/welcome/. She knows exactly the kind of dog Ben is and has advised us accordingly. She used to use old methods but has turned to much kinder methods and they have worked so well with Ben. It really is a matter of patience and consistency.

No, Ben will never be Clara nor the perfect dog who is totally trustworthy because of the first four years of his life but he'll be a much more manageable dog. We brought Ben in to give him a chance because he deserves that much. Today has been a good day so I can say this. Tomorrow is another day.

He's come a long way with Lynn's guidance and so have I. She has an amazing amount of knowledge and wisdom. I feel extremely fortunate to have found her.

No comments:

Post a Comment