Wednesday, September 16, 2009

May Our Ben Ben Rest in Peace


It is with deep sorrow and through tears that I announce that we will put Ben down today. My Prince, Goob, Goober, Boog, Booger, Goofball, Ben Ben and Benny.

We picked up an underweight, malnourished, desperate, beautiful Great Pyrenees, unneutered with open sores from an embedded collar on his neck and have tried desperately to save him. I have failed.

After much discussion, reasoning, researching, advice and soul searching, we have decided that it is best for Ben and us that he be put down. We never got to the vet behavourist because we felt that there was nothing she could do for us. Lynn had already advised us some time ago and we finally realized the reality. It is ever so sad because he is such a character and loves people. He had so much potential as a puppy and that was destroyed by a neglectful owner and bad breeders. He had to survive on his own for four years and he can't get past that. He was starved and can never get enough food. In Don's words, 'he is damaged'.

We gave him four good months of what a good life can be. He has finally realized how comfortable a thick rug can be on which to sleep. He is such a good boy but just can't be trusted. I've worked hard with him and he has been so receptive. The training for leaping was going so great as was collar and resource guarding.

But, can I ever trust him, ever, when he finds a Charlie Bear in a pocket. I saw him threaten me when I found him in the bedroom twice as he found his 'prize'. It was only a Charlie Bear. I can take those from him when I give them to him, I can pick up his toy and take it away from him. I trained him so I could show him the pigs ear and he took it in his mouth and then I was able to take it away. But if he found that pigs ear, could I take it away. Can I train him for that? And then when he threatened Jennifer over picking up his leash. Then Fred reaching for his collar and he bit Fred. I thought it was just mouthing but Fred's hand hurt although no bite marks. I think those were our lucky warning signs and very understanding people.

I still have to work at getting the leash on in the morning and at night. There is no problem during the day. Ben will mouth me if I get too close to his collar too soon.

We can't even leave him outside anymore in case someone comes up the drive. He would probably be thrilled to see them but what if they reach for his collar. He is normally okay with this is he doesn't 'feel' threatened but it's all the variables.

We've never had a dog like this, never seen the results of what neglect can do but only heard of it. Again, I wanted so much for him to work out. It saddens me so much that this is happening.

I could put another two years of intensive training into him but would that make him safe? Could I train him so that when I find him with a 'prize', I would be able to take it away? Could I wait that long and hope he doesn't hurt anyone in the meantime? Don has had one good bite from him and then attacked with four bites even though they were his fault. He's the one who has not wanted to euthanize him but wanted to give him a fighting chance. I had always said, too, that as a last resort I would try the old school method but do I want to break Ben's spirit, watch him get hung and beaten. I don't think it would have worked for Ben nor do I think any dog should have to go through that. We don't do it to humans, why pets?

We have our dogs to enjoy life with us, to give them the best life possible, to go everywhere with us and be able to leave them with anyone should we need to. They have to be part of our lives, not shut away. Us always walking on eggshells wondering when he'll bite next. We've managed him with no bites for three months and then it's happening again. As we have been asked by another knowledgeable person, 'when he bites the next person, are you willing to look them in the face and tell them that you knew it would likely happen?"

To my big, goofy, beautiful Ben Ben who taught me so much and whom I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment