Thursday, September 3, 2009

There Was Light

And then it vanished quickly this morning. I knew we couldn't have a high for so long before it went bad.

I didn’t get to his leash until he had just finished his breakfast. I picked up the leash and he bared teeth, growled and barked. I hung on, telling him to sit and he came forward instead. I dropped it. Bad, I know.

I got the broom and tried again. He barked and growled but this time, grabbed the leash in his mouth in frustration so that much is good but he continued barking.

It sounded so bad Don came down and took control.

Leash in hand, we went on our walk. It was a very quiet one because I didn’t say a word to him. I realize he had forgotten the whole incident but I sure hadn’t. He still walks a fine line.

Just when his afterwork walk went so well with leaping. Unfortunately, he was already barking and starting a leap before I clicked but at least he stopped and turned to me, twice, for two different vehicles. I then got into the groove and watched him carefully and clicked only when he looked and then treated him. It went really well. And then, the gods were with me, I thought. I found five dollars in the grass. Yippee!! If this keeps up, I could get rich for keeping Ben in training.

Following this was resource guarding. What a star! Lynn may cringe but Ben was so bored at me putting out the metal spoon and all the unguarded objects. I then went onto a cracker, cheerios, cheese and a hotdog. I untied him finally because he wouldn’t come over even with treats. He just watched me like I was doing all this just for exercise.

I put the cheese in front of him, letting him smell it first so he’d be interested, and walked away and came back and picked it up and rewarded him well. We kept doing this and then I went to the hotdog. Same reaction. None and he was rewarded. I then started putting it to his nose after picking it up. He wanted to eat it but I said no, he stopped and I rewarded him. I kept doing this with cheese and then a bit of hot dog. When we finished, I threw down a few treats as per usual, saying ‘all done’, he didn’t even go for the treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment