Tuesday, September 1, 2009

...if you are unable to keep your dog for any reason...

"Truly caring breeders will insist that you return your puppy to them if you are unable to keep it for any reason during its entire life." from http://www.kateconnick.com/library/breeder.html

Understand that Ben's breeders are no longer breeding but that shouldn't matter. All their dogs should be important to them all the time. I talked to Ben's breeder and that was like talking to a brick wall. He was very defensive as I explained Ben's problems. He said it wasn't his fault. I explained that I wasn't saying it was although now that I think about it, they should have been keeping a tab on him occasionally. I was simply looking for a place to keep Ben should we decide to go away. I wasn't looking to return him (at least at that moment!) He has so many issues right now that I couldn't leave him with anyone else. He explained that they couldn't because they had guard dogs (they had those when they were breeding) and sheep (they had those when they were breeding) and something about their kennels but I didn't catch it. I even talked about considering euthanasia he had so many problems but he kept repeating they couldn't take him.



I am pretty annoyed right now. I can't believe they don't care about their dogs but now I do. How could they have called themselves reputable breeders but maybe they didn't? I am learning so much through Ben.

On the flip side, we had a great resource guarding session this evening. Lynn was pretty happy with Ben's behaviour as was I. I have many things to work on in the next two weeks with Ben. I have a good feeling about things right now. Of course, that's at this moment. Ben doesn't want to be bad, he just doesn't know how to behave and that's what we're teaching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment