Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yet Another Turn of Events

Last night was a turn for the worst. I left the washroom door open where Ben's food is stored. He got well into that bag. I called him to lure him out and then went to get some cheese. That wasn't working and then Don came in. Ben came up for a breather and was turning towards the door. Don took the chance to reach over to close the bag and Ben attacked. I didn't know if he would ever stop but it was so horrible to watch. I thought I would would have to call 911. Four bites and Ben walked away and lay down. Two bites on Don's hands, one of which the punctures were tears, one on his wrist and the worst was on his calf. He became quite bruised. I started thinking we needed to put hinges that let the door snap shut and we needed to put the dog food into a container he couldn't get into. I was going into management mode. That wasn't enough. We were stunned and mortified by what had happened.

I suggested it was time to Don and he told me he would support me in whatever I decided. I called the vet and then told Don the time we would take him in. Then another idea came up.

We have engaged the services of a vet behaviourist (as opposed to a behavourist)for Ben on the suggestion of Lynn Hyndman, our trainer. We will meet with her on September 24th. Even though he has progressed a great deal since I brought him home, we want to know if he will ever be safe enough for the way we live with continued work.

I even called the vet to see about something to calm Ben. They suggested doggy prozac but was very costly but it would have been worth it if it 'fixed' Ben. Last grasps of desperation.

He is such a goofball, very sweet and loveable. And it angers me so much that people like his previous human were allowed to even take him home from the breeders. At the very least, Joe may have been fine at the beginning but the breeders should have checked on Ben now and again. It angers me that Joe has turned Ben into the dog he is and Ben is the one who has to pay the price. And, it angers me that Joe did not tell me the truth. Aggression issues were written in the vet file but Joe did not disclose it to me. I asked him and he said there were no problems. It angers me that Ben’s breeders were allowed to breed because they are ultimately responsible for how Ben is today. The fact that they refuse to take him tells all.

So, if you ever go to a breeder for a dog, make sure you ask questions of the breeder and they ask them of you. Make sure they tell you they will be checking on that dog periodically, that they will ensure it is neutered/spayed and that if ever in that dog’s life, you have to find a new home for it that the breeder will be the first place you call and that the breeder will take it back for any reason at any time. Make sure you meet the dog’s parents, see where the dogs live and how they are treated. Do your research before you ever invest in a companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment